Friday, February 4, 2011

Ashes to ashes...originally posted February 17, 2010

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you will return. (from the ritual of Imposition of Ashes, Lutheran Book of Worship)

Here’s the thing. I don’t want to remember that I am dust, and to dust I will return. Not right now. Really, it’s just a poetic way of saying, ‘you know, you’re going to die someday.’ And to be quite honest, I’ve had just about enough of death to last me for some time, thank you very much! Starting with Ginny Reimet, continuing with my grandparents, hearing of the death of grandparents of two good friends, the father of another dear friend, the teenager killed just recently….and all this was this fall and winter! There are more, I’m sure, more that I’m not remembering right now, but geez, isn’t that enough? Enough! Enough with death, already!

So yeah, I get it. I’m gonna die someday. We’re all gonna die someday. Why do we have to have this reminder? I mean, as Christians, shouldn’t we focus on the promise of eternal life? That our bodies return to dust, but our souls go to be with Jesus (and all those dear ones who have gone before us)? Well yes….but not today. At least, today it’s in the background.

See, today is the start of Lent. Today is the day to take a step back, slow down, settle down, and get ready to walk with Jesus to the cross and grave. That’s why the worship services are more somber. That’s why the children hid the Alleluia banner last week. We are a little more somber, grave, and meditative than maybe we usually are.

But still, why the reminder? Can’t we be somber, grave, and meditative without all the death stuff? Well, sure, but the reminder that we are mortal is also a reminder that we have choices to make. In The Lord of the Rings, the wizard Gandalf says, “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” And he’s right. That goes for us, as well. We have a limited time on this earth; how will we choose to spend it? What decisions will we make about our thoughts, words, and deeds?

My prayer for all of you is that you decide to cling to the God who is with you all the moments of your life and at the moment of your death. The God who loves you beyond all understanding. I hope the decisions you make are grounded in that belief. And I hope and pray that when you make bad decisions (because let’s face it, we all do), you will remember that God is STILL beside you and will never abandon you.

Have a blessed week, my friends,

No comments:

Post a Comment