Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Where two or three are gathered....

...there am I. (said Jesus)

Social networking - it's all the craze lately. Yeah, I know, blinding flash of the obvious. Even the Lutheran Church - or at least SEPA Synod - is jumping on board!

Personally, I love it. Facebook, Twitter, Loopt, texting, blogs....I love them all. Some say I'm addicted, but I'm not sure that's the right word. Let's just say....I'm plugged in. That sounds better, anyway, right? :)

So why write about this? If you're reading this, you may have linked to it from my Facebook page. Or maybe you're a blog follower. Or maybe you're a friend who I sent the link to...the possibilities are nearly endless. But you must be linked in, too, right? Or you wouldn't be reading this.

Let's take a look at that word. "Linked." We are connected through this cyber-world where we don't have to see each other to communicate. Is that a good thing? Often, people think it's not. It takes away from face-to-face communication, it allows us to only have shallow relationships, it isolates us. What do you think?

I think that certainly CAN be true, but I don't think it HAS to be. I can only use myself as an example, but honestly, I think being linked in cyberspace has deepened my connections with many people. Friends from high school who I thought were lost for good, for example, have become better friends than ever. My grandparents in TX, who normally wouldn't get to read what I write, because I'm no good at handwriting letters, hear about what I'm doing, what I believe, and what I think because my mother takes them my emails. Heck, my whole family's on FB - I can have random little chats with my brother, sister, and mom (and hopefully soon dad) through the day without running up the phone bill!

But like anything else, it's a tool. That's what we need to remember. It's a tool for communication, a tool for friendship, and yes, a tool for ministry. Jesus said, where two or three are gathered, He's there. He didn't say HOW they gathered, just that we are in community with each other. Cyberspace can be just as vital a community as face-to-face time.

But always remember - it does not and should not REPLACE face-to-face time. Facebooking with your youth minister, pastor, confirmation class, or church friends cannot replace the worship experience - but it can make it richer and deeper.

And like any other tool, social networking needs to be learned. If you pick up a hammer for the first time and just start banging away without thinking about it, chances are you'll hurt yourself. The same is true with any of the social networking tools. We learn through trial and error, and sometimes through others' trials and errors. Here's some of what I've learned:

1. Social Networking is not scary. It seems very strange when you start it, I know, but really, you can just play around with things and learn what you like and don't like about it. You might totally screw up your FB homepage and have to start over, but you probably aren't going to blow up the world. LOL

2. But you DO need to be careful. Let me say this loud and clear - anything you choose to post on the internet, no matter how good your security measures are, is honestly fair game for somebody somewhere. So before you post that picture, write that comment, or put your name/phone number/email/whatever out there, THINK ABOUT IT.

3. Be yourself on social networking sites. Yes, you can be selective - and should be selective - about what you choose to share, but as with anything else, honesty is the best policy. A cliche, yes, but it's true. Don't pretend to be someone or something you're not. You are created unique and wonderful - please don't ever think that you're not. Share your thoughts, ideas, and opinions with your friends - that's why the tool is so wonderful! But be nice....remember, even though you're "just" typing, these are still real people with real feelings. And they're your friends, or you wouldn't be letting them see what you put out there.

4. But remember that other people aren't always themselves. Be careful about who you become friends with. Make sure you really know that person before you let the friendship grow deep. There are people out there who, for whatever reason, pretend. Sometimes maliciously, sometimes just because they're bored. You all know what I'm talking about - be careful.

5. But don't let all this scare you! Social networking can be a way to share God's love with others - like I said, a powerful ministry tool. I can't tell you how many times I've posted something and heard from the unlikeliest people that they agree, feel the same way, or like the same thing. It's fabulous! And I've made friends I never would have expected - from Patou in France to Matt right here in SEPA, who I met in person at FLY in 2009 and felt like I already knew. So much fun!

So get out there! Gather! But please, let Love be a part of your gathering. I view that Love as the Triune God...but I have friends who don't...so for all of you who may not see the world in the same way I do...insert your own word for that which is bigger than yourself. That's the Love that should be a part of all of our relationships - not to limit them to people who define that Love the same way we do, but to broaden them to embrace many ways of viewing that Love. After all, I truly believe that we are all - all - Loved.

1 comment:

  1. Another thing social networking is good for...I put out a status this morning to ask my friends to vote for Dr Pepper over Blue Bell Ice Cream as a fave TX summer treat....because my mom wanted Dr Pepper to win....and guess what - my friends voted! So cool....love how people jump on board for fun things like this!

    ReplyDelete